30 April 2011

Why I serve

Sometimes being the only girl (and a Major) in my class here is a hard line to walk. I had a great conversation with my favorite Air Force mentor last night, and now I'm posting the follow-up email I sent him after morning formation this morning:

Sir,

Thanks for a great conversation last night...it bled right into this morning's formation. I got to PT and a bunch of our officers seem to think they're TSgts...so it was the officers who were talking in formation, making awful jokes about everything, and just generally setting a horrible example. Then it was me (not the official leader) who pulled one of them aside (a Captain) and explained that when the guys think you're "just another NCO," that's really a bad sign. He was telling us about the first present he got from his guys when he was promoted to 1st Lt...it was a plaque that said something along the lines of "Congratulations" with a set of SSgt stripes with the 1st Lt bar pinned in the circle, since he was "one of the guys." He was proud of it. I was embarassed, and moreso because he was telling the story in front of one of our sharpest TSgts.

So the part that I really liked was the awesome TSgt who sits in front of me and this Captain in class looked back at the Captain today and said "Sir, your hair is out of regs." And instead of said Captain saying "thanks
for letting me know" he started making excuses..."well, I cut my own hair, so I'll take a look at it." Hmm.

I get that it feels good to be part of the team. I admit that I appreciate how much the vehicle ops guys here trust me. But I also know they respect me because I hold them accountable and I expect them to do the same for me. We had "the talk" today about when it is appropriate to salute (always). That stuff doesn't go away when we're in simulated combat...and if I want it to go away here, I'll be glad to let them know that it's time to stop. Rules and expectations serve a purpose, and they define us as members of the military.

It's so easy to lose perspective here with so few peers...but sometimes it's important to remember who I am and where I come from. To me, that means I have to remember that I'm not a 25-odd year old male SSgt vehicle operator war veteran who's been getting one over on the Air Force for a long time. And I have to remember that there is no glory in being the "cool" officer. I can be approachable and friendly and funny without being "one of the guys." The line can get blurry here far beyond what I will tolerate at home, but at the end of the day, I still can't be "Lisa" to the NCOs, even at the bar on a Saturday night. Or maybe that should say ESPECIALLY not at the bar on a Saturday night.

Like we've talked about so many times before, I've been getting ready for leadership like this for about 9 years...and now it's time practice the values the Air Force says I should have and make sure that those really do line up with the things in which I truly believe.

The proud Airman in me thinks that it's about time for the Air Force students to recite the Airman's Creed at one of these ridiculous Army formations. We keep watching the Navy (an awkward group of un-military-like reservists) hose the crap out of facing movements, standing at attention, not running their mouths in formation, and making zero attempt to stay in step. When our Airmen watch that, instead of holding the Navy  accountable, they tend to act like the Navy. Personally, I am proud to be an Airman...and prouder even now that I'm in a joint service environment.

Here's the excuse I got from the Captain this morning for his bad behavior. "Well, the Navy was all talking in formation, so I figured it was okay."

And what do you think my answer was? "Well, Captain X, we're not in the Navy and I expect you to set the good Air Force example." Not a whole lot of negotiating room when you break it right down like that...
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl. So true! Sometimes one needs to set standards and remember why you're there. Sounds like Top Gun to me - or like those KT guys in Cochem giving a bad example.
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete