30 May 2011

Memorial Day

I tell you what...Memorial Day takes on a whole new meaning when you know people who have been killed in combat. Or people who have been significantly impacted by combat experiences. Or people who have earned Purple Hearts (which they affectionately call "Enemy Marksmanship Awards") in combat. Or honestly, Memorial Day feels a lot different just knowing that I am training to go to combat.

Rob and I got to meet up this weekend. He likes to remind me that he flew 4,700 miles to see me. I can't really argue with that logic. He flew in from Germany since I had a four day weekend. He's headed to New York to see his family this week, then he has training in Florida the week following as he gets ready for his deployment this summer.

Seeing him again was interesting...and I think he and I can agree that I am a very different person now than the one who left Germany about 6 weeks ago. I'm much less stressed out (funny to think about, since I'm learning combat skills and I'm about to go to war...yet I find this less stressful than my day job). I can sleep through the nights right now for the first time in years. And I talk. A lot. (I also shop a lot, so maybe I haven't changed as much as I claim to!)

We went to see our friends Scott and Amanda get married in Senatobia, Mississippi, when while we were already in the deep south we decided to hit Memphis and Graceland (totally fun, but Memphis is not our city!)  We're now on the airplane (I'm on airplane wifi) on our way back to Atlanta where we'll say goodbye again.

I probably won't see him for another 7 months or so (worst case scenario). But we're going to be just fine. And leaving this time is far less terrible than leaving from Germany. This time I know he'll be in Afghanistan with me. I know that I'm going back to training where I'll keep learning from some incredible people. And I know that there are a million amazing adventures ahead for both of us.

Plus we're already planning our reunion trip...an Around the World trip in February or March of 2012. We're still working out the details, and we have nothing but time to cook up the best trip of all time! I love having something to look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. You are both amazing...we are lucky to have friends like you! Glad you were able to spend time together...right behind you going to Nashville for conference...didn't invite my family b/c can't imagine it will be "all that"...

    ReplyDelete