02 June 2011

Biology

It's still no secret that I studied English in school because talking and writing are what I'm good at. But every once in a while my body likes to remind me that basic biology is something I also understand. Warning, this is not usually something I would write in public, but in this case, I think it's worth mentioning, if only for sheer impact.

Another non-secret...I live my daily life with 31 boys (and yes, I picked the word boys on purpose because that's truly how many of them either act or that's their true calendar age, which is terrifying). But about once a month, the ever generous Mother Nature reminds me that I am indeed female (in case the boys didn't do a good enough job of that every day). But the damn coolest thing about this monthly reminder of my femininity is that it always comes at a time when I am either doing something completely badass or when I am otherwise showing up the boys.

Today's example...we're doing short range marksmanship. I have an M4 slung over one shoulder and an M9 strapped to my right leg. I'm either running, turning, or advancing (walking forward). On the command of "ready" I have to spot my target by looking directly at it with my eyes and on "Fire" I pull the weapon to my eye, switch from "safe" to "fire," shoot twice, switch back to "safe" drop the weapon back to a safe position, and keep moving. Then when they yell "switch" I have to push the M4 toward my back, reach to my right leg, pull out the M9 pistol, and do the same thing...all without missing a beat.

So, Mother Nature, if you ever want to throw me another curve ball while I'm at this place, be my freaking guest. But please do me a favor and continue to do it when I'm doing total badass stuff. Tomorrow we go to the range and do all of the above with live ammunition. Yes, I will make sure someone takes a picture of me. And yes, I will continue to show the boys that I am just as capable as they are. Heck, I'm probably more capable since I happen to know how to listen and take advice.

Did I mention that this place can be absolutely awesome? It can be. Even on tough days. Or wait, was that especially on tough days?! (Like tomorrow...where we're doing run, jump, shoot in full gear at noon in 100_ degree heat. Sa-weeet!)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, love it! Silly boys and their Y chromosomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Badass Lass indeed! At least you were in DCU's and not wearing business casual on the #2 express train to Wall Street...um...or so I've heard...

    ReplyDelete