03 June 2011

It's official

I'm a badass. It's actually a running joke around here, since I came here basically thinking that there was no way I was ever going to be capable of doing the types of things I've been doing lately.

So here I am on the left hand side with my M4 slung cross my shoulder and my M9 attached to my right leg. I'm also wearing "full kit" in Army terms. In actual English (or as close as we're going to get in military-speak...Army terms in the parentheses)...

Helmet (Kevlar). Sunglasses ("eye pro" or "eye protection"). Bullet-proof vest (Improved Outer Tactical Vest or "IOTV"). Ear plugs ("ear pro"). Gloves (believe it or not we call those gloves and not "hand pro"). Knee pads. And I am wearing ABS-Gs...which is the Airman Battle System-Ground or the Air Force's version of a flame retardant uniform, which they only issue to people who are going out and around in Afghanistan.

Want to know the temperature today? The thermometer said almost 105. Wet bulb was closer to 120. And yes, it was freaking high noon because when the hell else would you want to be outside in the humidity in Louisiana in June in full kit?!

I tell you what, today was so freaking worth it. It was SRM day (short range marksmanship) day, which is when you fire a controlled pair (two shots) from the M4 rifle, quick switch, then fire a controlled pair from the M9 (pistol) from various positions (standing, turning, walking, running). AWESOME! And I tell you what, I showed some boys what's up today! You can't scare me with guns (anymore...)

And I tell you what else...marathon training and training other people to run is the absolute best practice in the world for going to war (to sweat your butt off). I drank 6 (yes 6) Nalgene bottles today. That's 32oz x 6 in about 4 hours. I finished feeling fine...no headache, nothing. The boys were dropping like flies. I wanted to go running.

So THERE. Take that, Mother Nature. I can kick the boys around even on the days that you want me to be as girly as possible.

The end.

2 comments: