20 April 2011

Leading in Combat (A Slice of Humble Pie)

I don't know much about combat. No, wait, let's be completely honest. I know nothing about combat. But I tell you what, there are guys here who have been in the Air Force for 12 years and have deployed 8 times, leading convoys through Iraq and Afghanistan with the Army. That's no joke, and those guys have some incredible stories that absolutely pale in comparison to things I've ever seen or dreamed of.

Officers learn from a very early age to be eager and to take charge, but what I've learned here is that there's a huge amount of value to eating a slice of humble pie. I don't know everything (or really anything) about what my life will be like in Afghanistan. And these guys (and yes, they're all guys) have both the experience and the desire to help prepare me...but I have to be willing to ask, and then to listen. And I have to earn their respect.

I'm making small strides. I proved this morning that I'm not a wimp. I can outrun 31 of the 33 of them (and I think I can catch one more guy here in the next week or so). But when it came to putting together the body armor, or the helmet, or figuring out how to toss the ruck sack over my head...well, that was far beyond me. But as long as I was confident enough to ask for help, there were literally a dozen guys who patiently took apart and put back together my IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest), adjust my helmet, and gave me remedial lessons on how to stay safe.

This is a whole new kind of leadership. I have to figure out a way to still be a Major (and a female) and keep the respect of the team. And I can't rely on technical abilities, because I have none.

Did I mention that I love it here? I love it here! Love it! I am never, ever bored (despite about 6 more hours of "white space" today...three of which I used to hear war stories from the guys, another one I went running, and a few more I spent with my nose in a book...life is tough!)

No comments:

Post a Comment