19 April 2011

White Space

I'm in the freaking Army now. And I learned a new concept today...one that doesn't usually apply in my regular life. White space. White space is the space on a schedule of the day's events that is not full. So in my personal case (when left to my own devices), there is no such thing.

Enter United States Army. Today I had a day where I had about 5 hours of my 10 or so hours of the day "full" of white space. I almost lost it. But then I remembered that I am indeed literate. I did bring a big stack of books. And white space equals reading time. I'm almost done with book #1, which means we'll flip this blog into a book review as well. I mean, why not?! I also went for a run in the middle of the day...in the Louisiana heat...with the track star on my team who can run an 8:30 mile and a half. Don't worry, we ran much slower than that, and I lived to tell the tale.

Today we were issued all of the freaking gear on the planet. I know you don't have a concept of that yet, so I'll have to promise pictures soon. I have five bags (two are big enough for me to sit in) full of gear. Now granted, this is important stuff (body armor, canteens, Camelbacks, "brassieres," you name it.) And yes, the Army issued me bras and underwear. Apparently I cannot be trusted to supply my own. Another of my projects is to go stand on a scale right now, then again with all of my gear (which should almost double my body weight).

The United States Army also issued me an M-9 (a pistol) and an M-4 (a rifle) which I will carry around with me constantly for the next 9 months. Wait until you see me with two weapons strapped to my body. This is no joke.

I have to admit, I've been dodging any responsibility here, but today I managed to step up. Finally. And to be honest, I was getting a bit tired of being a wallflower. Today I made it my job to teach all of the young ones (and I got my math wrong...it's 33 guys...and me) how to assemble their M-4 sling. So I showed our young Lieutenant how to put the thing together, he looks at me, and he says "Ma'am, I have a feeling you're going to kick all of our asses."

Well yes, I do hope it ends up that way.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you do not only wear bras and weapons I'm looking forward to those pictures :)

    ReplyDelete